Most of the times our body becomes stubborn and it refuses to keep us going on and on without some rest. Maybe our bodies are right, we need to rest. But we sometimes lack enough hours in the day to get everything done. As a result, some of us try to push on with a mixture of caffeine and some mood-enhancing pills. However, our body still resists the effects of these stimulants and becomes tired and sleepy even after taking some coffee.
Stimulants like modafinil are used to help people stay awake. Most student and working class prefer to use modafinil because it has few side effects and has also proven to be an effective treatment for idiopathic hypersomnia. It targets very specific areas of the brain and unlike other drugs that require repeated dosages, one pill of modafinil can be active in the body for over 15 hours. It has been used for years to treat idiopathic hypersomnia and only gives it users a headache. This can be a nuisance, but it’s better than the heart palpitations and irritability caused by other sleeping pills.
General Modafinil Dosage information
Modafinil dose is usually set and sold in 200mg tablets, but can also be available in 100mg pills with the 200mg option being more and also more widely available. To reduce the headaches and burnout, it is recommended to combine modafinil with a natural nootropics drug or a high-quality choline supplement. It is taken once in a day and it is safe to take with or without food before or after consumption. It is not advisable to change the time of the dose without an approval from a physician. To enhance the effectiveness of modafinil it must be taken as prescribed.
- Since the main objective is to improve cognitive function during the day and get some sleep at night, timing should be a major factor. It is believed that modafinil can have an addiction. However, addiction to this smart drug is very rare unless you take very high doses regularly.
The recommended modafinil dosage
- It is important to remember that, it is advisable to consult your doctor first before applying the following dosage in order to ensure that the dose will apply to your personal circumstances.
What is the recommended dose if you want to stay awake overnight?
- If you have a pending study or work over the night, you should consider taking modafinil just one to three hour right before the shift begins. The recommended dose is 600mg in a period of 24 hours. But you should always remember that modafinil should not be taken too much at once.
- It only takes two hours to feel the effect so it is recommended you wait for at least two hours before deciding if you need more modafinil dose. Thus if you will be working for 8 hours, and even if the drug take two hours to come into effect, the concentration in your blood remains high enough for you to get through your work effectively.
- Most users reviews state that it is almost impossible to fall asleep within 12 hours of taking this drug, so plan accordingly for the right time to take your dosages.
The Normal Dose for Narcolepsy
- For narcolepsy, take 100mg of modafinil once per day upon waking. However, for mental enhancement and getting rid of brain fog, most people prefer to take 50mg upon waking and another 50mg in the afternoon which can provide alertness throughout the day. Although this doesn’t work with everyone, you can try to split up your intake and see whether it works for you.
- Doses of up to 400mg/day, taken as a single dose, can be well tolerated, although there is no reliable evidence that this dose confers additional benefit beyond that of the 200mg.
A dose for obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea
The normal Modafinil adult dose for obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea
- Obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea is a condition in which the muscles of the mouth relax during sleep, causing the tongue to particularly block the airway causing shallow breathing (hypopnea), or completely block the airway, causing a momentary or sometimes sustained stopping of breathing (apnea). People with this problem have very poor sleeping quality and they typically experience sleepiness during the day.
200mg of Modafinil taken orally once a day in the morning is prescribed to people with this problem as an adjunct treatment to help in improving excessive daytime sleepiness.
Modafinil dosage for ADHD/ADD
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), formerly called ADD, is a disorder which affects around 10% of young people in the USA today, especially to young people aged between 3-17. The most common symptoms of this disorder are:
- Hyperactivity and lack of impulse control
- The inability to pay attention
The Modafinil dosage for adults ranges from 100mg to 200mg per day. ADHD has no cure; you can only use Modafinil only to treat its symptoms. Although it has yet been approved by FDA to treat ADHD, many psychiatrists are prescribing Modafinil for ADHD, even though it has not yet produced the overwhelmingly positive effects.
Take 50mg of modafinil for the first dose
- If you are just starting on using modafinil to improve cognitive performance, it is always recommended to start with a lower dosage of 50mg but if you find that 50mg does not give you the desired effects, you can increases your intake to 100mg next time.
- By doing this, you will achieve the required benefit of modafinil and reduce the likelihood of its side effects.
The Interaction of Modafinil with Other Drugs
Research shows that Modafinil can speed up or slow down the production of enzymes by the liver, which assists in excreting other drugs from the body. If you are taking certain antidepressants, this might also influence their effectiveness. In addition to this, it is essential to motion whether or not you are taking any drugs that lower blood pressure.
Particularly, monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAO) antidepressants do not mix well with Modafinil. It is recommended to always stop their use two weeks prior, during and after use of Modafinil to avoid serious problems.
Additionally, Modafinil can slow down the effectiveness of hormonal contraceptives like birth control pill, therefore it is important to use other birth control alternative form of birth control when on Modafinil and up to one month afterward in order to avoid unwanted pregnancy.
Before you decide taking Modafinil, it is important to inform your doctor of any other prescribed or non-prescribed drug or maybe other supplements you are currently taking in order to avoid any potential adverse reaction.
What happens if you overdose modafinil?
Despite the fact that this smart drug is relatively safe, there have been a few potential side effects associated with this its use. Research shows that, if you take an overdose of modafinil, it causes the following effects.
- Troubles in sleeping
- Unusual bleeding
Some of these side effects are usually mild, but there is also there also some more serious side effects such as skin rashes or allergic reactions, hives, mouth sores, blistering or peeling skin.
There are some who believe that Modafinil should be dosed based on body weight, however, there is little evidence to show that this is necessary for the average user. If you start experiencing the above symptoms, you should seek emergency medical attention if you believe that you have an overdose. A lot of research shows that a smaller dose is just as efficient as the bigger one, so there is no point of taking an overdose.
Safety Concerns Raised Over Popular Modafinil Use
Regardless of the dosage, you are using, lack of sleep and poor dietary habits while using Modafinil can result in severe mental effects. Excessive mental fatigue can lead to unwanted problems such as a
- brain fog,
- lack of focus,
- and reduced energy levels.
To avoid this side effect, it’s important to avoid using Modafinil regularly. Modafinil works best when used at irregular intervals. Protracted use will likely result in diminished effectiveness. Some users prefer to use it once a week. Furthermore, your brain needs a break and the right nutrients to recover.
For those who wish to take Modafinil for extended periods, it always important to consider cycling Modafinil to maintain sensitivity and reduce tolerance.
Modafinil short-term cycle
• Maximum 3 days per week
- Monday- 100mg
- Take a 3-5 day break if 200mg has no effect
- Raise up the dose over the week if tolerance sets in
Modafinil long-term cycle
• In three weeks take a break of one week
- Days 1-7_150mg/day
- Days 7-14_200mg/day
- Days 14_21_ no Modafinil/Washout
- Days 22/21_ test tolerance with a small dose. Day one starts if effective, but if ineffective consider a further 7 days off.
We live in a world that expects more all the time, and with a competitive workplace, it is sometimes wise to use Modafinil to add that extra boost and be at your best.
However, for whatever reason of taking Modafinil, the only important this remember is to always consult with your doctor before you start taking it.